Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2019

NICU Day 3 {December 23rd-Paige's First Doll from Daddy, and Christmas Eve, Eve in the Hospital.}

I had to share this story because it's too cute not to share. The day after Paige was born, her primary nurse Emily, told us that we should go out and buy a cute doll, or something to compare Paige to as she grew so that we could see the progress she made. We thought that was such a great idea and Mike took it very seriously. He went out the morning of the 23rd, without me knowing, and bought his little girl her first baby doll. I will never forget him walking into my hospital room so proudly holding that little baby. It brought me to tears then and still does to this day. When we found out we were having a girl, he was so excited, as we all were, to be able to do all things girl. He couldn't wait to take it over to her and give it to her. Here is the first picture we took with her new dolly.
The 23rd was a fairly stable day for Paige. She still continued to fight the battles I mentioned in my previous post, but overall it was a fairly routine and quiet day.

That morning, the patient care coordinators told us that there was a group of people who organized a Christmas closet for the parents of all the kids who had to be in the hospital over the holidays. They had people donate hundreds of toys and the parents could go in an pick out 3 toys for each of their children. Mike and I were in tears as we walked through the room. It made me realize even more that Christmas is about serving others and I hope to be able to one day help others in a similar way.

We had already gotten Christmas for the boys, and we didn't want to take things away from people who really needed it, but they insisted that's what it was for, so we picked out a few things for all 3 of our babies and they wrapped them up and delivered them to our room. That night when Paige had a stable few hours, we had our family bring the boys in and we had a fun little Christmas eve, eve at the hospital.




















I had been begging my doctor's to let me go home for Christmas. Dr. West (my OB) was not on call over the weekend and into the holiday, so the doctors who were on, didn't know me. All they knew was that my blood pressures were still scary high and that they were still needing to rescue me with IV medications every night. At one point I was over in the NICU with Paige and I thought my head was going to explode. They had to rush me back to my room and found that my blood pressure was extremely high. They had to give me an IV medication and wouldn't let me go back over with our visitors to visit Paige. I wondered if I would ever get home. We had already been through so much... all I wanted was to be home and make Christmas as normal as possible for the boys. I told them I would come back the night of the 25th if they'd just let me go home and rest for one night. They told me I could only be discharged if I had a good reading on the night of the 23rd and didn't need any IV medication.

That night, I was determined to get a good blood pressure reading. The nurse gave me my blood pressure meds and a sleeping pill, I took a shower and rested for 30 minutes. She came in and took it and we got one within the parameters. I was so happy, but at that same moment, I was so sad because I knew that meant I would have to leave my baby at the hospital the next day.

NICU DAY 3 According to Daddy (December 23rd, 2018) 

Our little pipsqueak, man do you know how to give mom and me a run for our money!!! Yesterday was a day that we will remember forever and eternity. With your low labs and O2 needs leading to an US of your head and mom going from crying to super crying to her asking the same questions over and over to the Drs, etc., we got through it with smiles on our faces because it turned out to end on a good note. With you settled and ready for a nice sleep mom was able to get back up to her room on antepartum and actually rest (as well as anyone can say they actually rested in a hospital).

Although you scared the crap out of us (one of many time I’m sure), you seemed to pop right back even if that required a little bit of support from RT. I can’t begin to tell you what a relief that was as parents of the sick child to see you work so hard to want to do it all on your own. It was a very uneventful day to say the least which is a good day in my book, it means that you got rest and are letting that little body grow. Now don’t be surprised at your own body if you lose a little weight this first week, that is totally normal, so we will see what tomorrow will say.

Cares went smoothly, and you have been peeing like a race horse. You had a couple poopy/smeary diapers which is good to see but also required an enema today to help that go a little more smoothly (no pun intended). I think that enema was the biggest excitement for the day today. Did you like it? No, you told the nurse that by kicking at her and squirming around like a boxer does before a fight. You were ready to throw down for a good hour before mom and I left to try and get more sleep. But as always, we checked in on you with the nurse about every couple hours to make sure you were behaving.

Today was a great day and a short report and tomorrow is a new day. Stay strong little one and know that we love you.

Love Mom, Dad, Jace, and Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment